In 1911 Albert Huble returned from a visit to his family in Ontario with a new bride, Annie, and her daughter Ada. In the fall when Mrs. Huble had another baby, Bertha, the cabin in which they were living became too small for the growing family.
The house he built was a typical Ontario farmhouse, complete with squared logs and dovetailed corners. The house took nearly a year to complete. Mr. Huble recorded his start in his diary when he wrote on January 18th, 1912 that he “broke road up the hill to get the house logs”. Throughout the winter he records spending a considerable amount of time felling and hewing logs for the house.
By October 1912 Huble was installing stoves and stovepipes. The family spent the winter in their new house. In the spring of 1913, Mr. Huble attached the family’s old cabin to the new house for use as a summer kitchen. Once completed, the two story house boasted a cellar, a large parlour and dining room, an office for Al, a first floor master bedroom, four upstairs bedrooms, and a summer kitchen.
The Huble house was sold with the 336 acres of Huble’s land to Mrs. Josephine Walker Mitchell in 1929. It was used to house workers on the WM Ranch for many years. After Mrs. Mitchell sold the property in 1957, the house and the land passed through several different owners. In 1983 a proposal was brought forward to move the historic house from its original location on the Fraser River to the Old Fort Brewery site in Prince George. A group of residents from Salmon Valley and Summit Lake organized to stop the move. In 1983 they formed the Giscome Portage Heritage Society and began restoration of the house in 1985. In 1989 the Huble house was unveiled to the public as the centerpiece of the Huble Homestead Historic Site. The Huble house is the oldest building on its original location in the entirety of the Regional District of Fraser-Fort George.