This fully functioning Blacksmith Shop is furnished almost entirely with tools donated by early Prince George blacksmith, John Banzer (1902-1991).
This shop is located across a small creek from Huble’s original homestead on his partner Ed Seebach’s land. The building was recreated in 1995 with information gathered from photographs and oral histories. The original building was likely Mr. Seebach’s home before it was turned into a blacksmith shop. Early photographs show Seebach’s preemption with the house with a meat cache behind it. In oral interviews with Huble’s descendants they identify the building as being used as a blacksmith shop in later years. It is also known that as business declined at Giscome Portage
Mr. Seebach was spending more time tending their warehouses and stores at Summit and McLeod Lakes. His cabin at Giscome Portage was likely unused by the time it became a blacksmith shop.
Blacksmithing was an important skill for homesteaders to have, particularly for those far from towns or cities. Blacksmithing was necessary in order to keep horses shod and wagon, carts, and tools in good repair.
The blacksmith shop at Huble Homestead operates on event days with the help of a volunteer blacksmith.