top of page

Albert Huble

Albert James Huble was born on September 4, 1872 to Nancy and Samuel Hubble in Oak Lake, Ontario. The eldest son of eleven children, young Albert is said to have left home at the age of 13 after an argument with his father. Family history tells that he spent five years in Chicago with an uncle before heading westward to British Columbia. He made his way to the Kootenays in the 1890s where he worked on the Canadian Pacific Railroad for a short time before returning to Ontario.


In the 1900 census Al Huble is listed as a barber in Peterborough, Ontario and he is married to a woman name Maria. Tragically, Maria Huble died later that same year of tuberculosis. Al Huble then left Ontario and came back to British Columbia where in 1901 he is recorded as working as a carpenter in Golden. Family history describes Al Huble as an adventurous man who tried his hand at a variety of trades including prospecting and running a fishing schooner before he came to Fort George. It was there he met Edward Seebach, and in 1904 the two men formed a business partnership.

Albert Huble, circa. 1910.
Al Huble harvesting potatoes.

When Al Huble returned to Ontario to visit his family in the winter of 1910/11 he met a woman named Annie Hart. They spent time together and he is believed to have proposed to Annie on New Year’s Day 1911 after a sleigh ride that ended in an overturned sled. This was the second marriage for both Al and Annie. Al left to return to Giscome Portage in March of 1911 and spent a few months travelling back. Annie came in the summer and brought her youngest daughter, Ada, with her. The new family spent their first year in a small cabin that would later become the summer kitchen when the new house was built. It was in this little cabin that the couple’s first child, Bertha was born. Four more children were born to the couple while they lived at the homestead.

With the traffic over the Giscome Portage declining after World War I, the family moved into Prince George in 1919. Two more children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Huble while they lived in the city. The homestead was kept as a summer home for another decade until 1929 when Huble sold his property to Mrs. Josephine Mitchell.

Albert James Huble died December 29, 1947.

bottom of page